Associate Professor / Reader
Associate Dean (Research)
Faculty of Engineering (FEng)
School of Engineering and Computer Science (SECS)
Victoria University of Wellington Evolutionary Computation for Combinatorial Optimisation Group (ECCO)
Evolutionary Computation and Machine Learning Research Group (ECRG)
- [Presentation Award]: Jordan MacLachlan won the VUW 3-minutes Thesis Presentation Award Second Prize 2023 ($1,000 NZD).
- [Humies Award]: Jordan MacLachlan's work on "Genetic Programming for Emergency Medical Services" won the GECCO Humies Silver Award 2023 ($2,000 USD).
- [Best Paper Award]: Zhixing Huang's paper "Grammar-guided linear genetic programming for dynamic job shop scheduling" won the GP track Best Paper Award of the ACM Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO) 2023.
- [Best Paper Award]: Shaolin Wang's paper "Local Ranking Explanation for Genetic Programming Evolved Routing Policies for Uncertain Capacitated Arc Routing Problems" won the ECOM track Best Paper Award of the ACM Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO) 2022.
- [Best PhD Dissertation Award]: Dr. Fangfang Zhang's PhD thesis "Genetic Programming Hyper-heuristics for Dynamic Flexible Job Shop Scheduling" won the 2022 ACM SIGEVO Dissertation Award (Honorable Mention).
- [Best Paper Award]: Zhixing Huang's paper "An Investigation of Multitask Linear Genetic Programming for Dynamic Job Shop Scheduling" won the Best Paper Award of European Conference on Genetic Programming (EuroGP) 2022.
- Our new book published: "Genetic Programming for Production Scheduling: An Evolutionary Learning Approach", Springer (XXXIII+338 pages, the first book on hyper-heuristic for production scheduling).
- Evolutionary Computation and Learning
- Combinatorial Optimisation
- Genetic Programming
- Automated Algorithm Design / Hyper-Heuristics
- Multi-objective Optimisation and Decision Making
- AI Planning and Scheduling
- Explainable AI
Dr. Yi Mei is an Associate Professor at the School of Engineering and Computer Science, Victoria University of Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand.
His research interests include evolutionary computation for combinatorial optimisation, genetic programming, automatic algorithm design, explainable AI, multi-objective optimisation, transfer/multitask learning and optimisation. He has published on top journals in EC and Operations Research (OR) such as IEEE TEVC, IEEE TCYB, EJOR, IEEE Transactions on Services Computing, and ACM Transactions on Mathematical Software. He won an IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation Outstanding Paper Award 2017, a GECCO Best Paper Award 2022, and the EuroGP Best Paper Award 2022.
He is an Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation, and an Editorial Board Member/Associate Editor of four other international journals. He is the Chair of the IEEE Taskforce on Evolutionary Scheduling and Combinatorial Optimisation. He serves as a Vice-Chair of the IEEE CIS Emergent Technologies Technical Committee, and a member of three IEEE CIS Task Forces and two IEEE CIS Technical Committees. He is a Fellow of Engineering New Zealand and an IEEE Senior Member.
- PhD in Computer Science, University of Science and Technology of China, 2010
- MSc in Computer Science, University of Science and Technology of China, 2007
- BSc in Mathematics, University of Science and Technology of China, 2005